From Her to Watson, and What's Next?
Create a vendor selection project
Click to express your interest in this report
Indication of coverage against your requirements
A subscription is required to activate this feature. Contact us for more info.
Celent have reviewed this profile and believe it to be accurate.
We are waiting for the vendor to publish their solution profile. Contact us or request the RFX.
9 October 2014
Her is a 2013 American science fiction romantic comedy-drama film written, directed, and produced by Spike Jonze. The film follows Theodore Twombly (Joaquin Phoenix), a man who develops a relationship with Samantha (Scarlett Johansson), an intelligent computer operating system personified through a female voice. Jonze conceived the idea in the early 2000s after reading an article about Cleverbot, a web application that uses an artificial intelligence algorithm to have conversations with humans. I spent an entire day with Watson last Tuesday along with my colleague Dan Latimore (should read his blog about it! http://bankingblog.celent.com/2014/10/08/spending-a-day-with-ibms-watson/) and I could not avoid the resemblance, though IBM's Watson is much more focused on the business side of the machine/human interaction and collaboration. Watson is a learning system that scales human expertise by extending our abilities to perceive, reason, and relate:
- Perceiving: Watson understands the world as we do; it interprets sensory input beyond traditional data. Understands natural language; reads manuals, social data, blogs, consumer reviews, etc.
- Reasoning: Watson thinks through complex problems; it deepens our analysis and inspires creativity. Makes inferences, evaluates pros and cons, and finds relationships between terms and concepts
- Relating: Watson understands how we communicate, and personalizes its interactions with each of us. Responds in natural language, personalizes the interaction and provides reasons
- Learning: Watson learns from every interaction, scaling our ability to build experience. Trains with experts and improves with feedback.
- Amplify human cognitive strengths
- Enable a deeper level of reasoning
- Make decision trade-offs with higher levels of confidence
- Democratize experience and knowledge within your organization and value chain