Celent Banking Newsletter, September 2012
Analyst's Point of View
There are so many great conferences and events throughout the year that prioritising them and deciding which ones to attend become critical tasks for any analyst as it would be impossible to attend them all. However, no matter how well we prioritise, come September, every year most of us find ourselves traveling a lot for a few months, as the conference season kicks off in earnest.
This year is no exception -- you will be able find at least some Celent analysts in most of the flagship industry events around the world, from BAI Retail Delivery in the US to multiple EFMA conferences in Europe, and from SIBOS (in Japan this year!) to AFP. Many of us will also be speaking, chairing, or moderating panel discussions. For example, here are some of the key events on my agenda for the next couple of months:
- EFMA Payments World -- which combines two major events at the same time: Mobile and Advanced Payments and Cards and Payments conferences - September 25-26, Paris. I will be chairing Day 1 of the Mobile Payments event, which is also where our Oliver Wyman colleagues will be presenting the findings from the Alternative Payments study conducted jointly with EFMA across Europe. I attended the Cards and Payments event last year and, as I wrote in a blog afterwards, it was one of the most interesting conferences in recent years. If you haven't registered yet, I would encourage you to consider signing up.
- BAI Retail Delivery -- October 9-11, Washington DC. This is one event every year where all of Celent's Banking analysts attend and spend most of our time meeting clients, prospects, and industry experts. Drop us or your account manager a line if you would like to meet with us there, as our diaries are filling up fast.
- Money2020 -- October 22-24, Las Vegas. It's a new event on the calendar, but considering the list of speakers and companies attending, it promises to be an exciting few days.
- ATM, Debit and Prepaid Forum -- October 23-25, Phoenix, AZ. Another "must go" on the events calendar; I will be moderating a panel discussion on merchant-funded rewards with senior executives from Affinity Solutions, Cardlytics, FreeMonee Network, and Linkable Networks on the panel.
- CARTES -- November 6-8, Paris. Ian Hermon from Thales and I will be presenting at the Mobile track of Day 1 on "Who will Win in the Era of Mobile Payments?"
It will be a busy few months for us all. Again, if you plan to attend any of these events and would like to meet, do let us know. Hope to see you there!
Celent, an international financial research and consulting firm, has hired a new senior banking analyst.
Robert Mancini joins as a senior analyst in Celent's banking practice, based in Minneapolis. His research will focus on liquidity management and trade finance. Prior to joining Celent, Mr. Mancini was a vice president at leading financial institutions including Union Bank (subsidiary of Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi UFJ), U.S. Bank, and Wells Fargo.
He has over 20 years of experience working with financial institutions across commercial product management and development, operations, foreign exchange, and consulting for leading global financial firms.
Mr. Mancini holds an MBA in Technology Management from the University of Phoenix and a Bachelor's degree in Finance from Concordia University in Montreal. He also holds a Certified Treasury Professional certification from AFP.
"We're delighted to add someone with Robert's years of experience at leading banks in treasury management to the team," says Bart Narter, Senior Vice President of Celent's Banking Group. "Robert's expertise will enrich our reports around liquidity management, trade finance, and other pertinent wholesale banking topics."
Chart of the Month
From the Celent report Emerging Technologies in Retail Banking: The Long Road to Customer Centricity
Celent Published Reports
- Selecting a Merchant-Funded Rewards Platform: An In-depth Analysis of MFR Vendors
- Can Card Issuers Turn Loyalty Program Costs Into Revenues?
- Innovations in Mobile at Finovate
- Emerging Technologies in Retail Banking: The Long Road to Customer Centricity
- What App, Doc?
- Navigating the E-Invoicing Service Providers
- The ATM in Japan: Part 2
Research in Progress
- Customer Analytics in Banking: Why Here, Why Now?
- The Future of Bill Payment Solutions in Online Banking
- Global Payment Volume Forecasts
24 September 2012
Emerging Technologies in Retail Banking
25-26 September 2012
Mobile and advanced payments, conference & exhibition
9-11 October 2012
BAI Retail Delivery Conference
14-17 October 2012
AFP Annual Conference
22-24 October 2012
Money 2020 Expo
Las Vegas, NV
22-25 October 2012
20th Annual PaymentsSource ATM, Debit & Prepaid Forum 2012
23 October 2012
What App, Doc?
An Evaluation of Mobile Banking at the Top US Banks
For more information about Celent spaeking engagements and webinars, please see our Events page.