Celent Banking Newsletter, June 2012
Analyst’s Point of View
Last Wednesday, Celent hosted its fifth annual Banking Innovation & Insight Day. We had a full house of energetic attendees, and a solid crew of dynamic panelists and presenters.
After a brief welcome address, we launched right into the agenda with a panel session on tablet banking. We did things a little differently this year, with each of the panelists (from USAA, CIBC, and Stellar One Bank) giving brief demos of their iPad apps. The demos were followed by a stimulating discussion on tablets and how they are changing the digital banking landscape. The mobile theme continued right into the next session, a panel discussion on the future of mobile banking and payments. Panelists from Wells Fargo, SunTrust, and Standard Chartered prognosticated on future mobile innovations and the potential of mobile payments.
We were extremely honored to present our 2012 Model Bank awards. The audience was also given the privilege of hearing from two of the model bank award winners: Redstone Federal Credit Union and Bank of America Merrill Lynch.
In the afternoon, we introduced the topic of industry disruption and invited a speaker from a bank (Citi) and a speaker from a startup (Social Money / SmartyPig) to talk about disruptive initiatives in banking. One of the highlights of the day was definitely the energetic and thought-provoking presentation given by Yobie Benjamin, CTO of Citi Transaction Services and Citi Enterprise Payments.
There were a number of tweeters in the room. We invite you to see what folks had to say on Twitter.
Bank Systems & Technology published a couple of articles on the event:
- Tablets, Mobile Payments, Disruptors Among Hot Topics at Celent Banking Innovation & Insight Day
- iPads, Smartphones, Mobile Payments and Clean Water: Top Quotes From Celent's Banking Insight & Innovation Day
If you would like to see a few photos from the event, please visit our Flickr photostream.
All presentations from the day are available for Celent clients to download on our website.
We look forward to seeing you at our next event!
Chart of the Month
From the Celent report A Snapshot of the Global Core Banking Market
Celent Published Reports
- Core Banking Solutions for Small and Midsize Banks in China
- Branch Transformation at RHB Bank: Making It Look Easy
- Celent Model Bank 2012: Case Studies of Effective Technology Usage in Banking
- Innovative Payments Startups, 2012 Edition
- A Snapshot of the Global Core Banking Market
- Cloud Computing in South Korea's Financial Industry: Obstacles and Opportunity
Research in Progress
- Emerging Technologies in Retail Banking
- What App, Doc?
- The Future of Bill Payment Solutions in Online Banking
- Global Payment Volume Forecasts
25 July 2012
Expanding Geographic Footprint
For more on upcoming presentations and webinars with Celent analysts, please see our Events page.