How Big Is Mobile Banking's App-etite?
Create a vendor selection project & run comparison reports
Click to express your interest in this report
Indication of coverage against your requirements
A subscription is required to activate this feature. Contact us for more info.
Celent have reviewed this profile and believe it to be accurate.
2 February 2010
I have to admit, I have app-envy. Owning an old Windows 6.1 Motorola mobile phone, I look on with a certain longing at my friends, colleagues and fellow airplane passengers who enjoy endless, happy hours with their iPhone/Android/Blackberry "iBeer" apps. I am even more jealous of their mobile banking apps, which seem to me the coolest retail banking technology ever. But truthfully, I am beginning to get a bit dizzy contemplating the options that await once I finally trade in my current mobile device. At the last count I saw, the iPhone App Store had 120,000 apps. This got me to thinking about the plight of banks offering mobile solutions, which are increasingly feeling the pressure to keep up with the app explosion. A very quick check on Wikipedia revealed the following:
- There are about 6 versions of the iPhone OS (operating system), with a new one in beta
- Since April 2009, there have already been 3 versions of the Android OS
- There are at least 30 versions of the Blackberry OS, more if you include those for the Canadian market -- I stopped counting, but see for yourself.
- The Windows Mobile OS has been around for a while, but it's probably safe to say that phones with 5 or 6 versions are still in use
- Let us not forget the Palm and BREW OS'
Industry or Business Focus
Asia-Pacific, EMEA, LATAM, North America