CIO Market Infrastructure Survey 2021
The Digital Journey to 2025
This year, Celent interviewed 25 chief information officers and senior technology leaders of global market infrastructure (MI) to understand their focus, priorities, and investments around the creation of their future platform. The results show a strong demand to move to more agile technology, microservices, and data models.
Top Investment Priorities for MI CIOs: Modular Architecture, Cloud, Data Analytics, and Automation
Source: 2021 Celent MI CIO Survey
- COVID-19 was a stress test on market infrastructure, exposing data flow, scale, and operational challenges in the process of scalability, according to 61% of CIOs.
- Market infrastructure CIOs are increasing their investment in modern technology as they replatform core trading and post-trade systems. There will be a 45% increase in the number of MI providers with fully modernized technology stacks by 2025.
- Agility, product creation, and customer centricity are the top factors in replatforming MI.
- Increasing use of cloud technology and microservices is seen as a tool to both add agility and be able to service partner and client demand. Celent sees a 27% increase in the number of cloud-ready applications between 2021 and 2025.
- Market infrastructure CIOs are actively modernizing their infrastructure and are more open to partnering in accessing and provisioning technology and services. Thirty-one percent of CIOs will move more components to third party providers.
- Most MI CIOs are in the planning phase for crypto-related services.