Introducing Celent Model Bank 2019 Awards
As regular readers of our blogs know, January is one of the most exciting months at Celent. The analyst teams are busy reviewing nominations for Model Bank, Insurer, and Wealth/ Asset Manager Awards, and passionately discussing which initiatives are most worthy of recognition. Every year we are impressed by the sheer scale of efforts to innovate and transform our industries, and are very grateful that so many financial institutions (FIs) take time to share their success stories with us.
2019 was another fantastic year for Model Bank. We have just finished reviewing more than 140 nominations from nearly 80 FIs from 30 countries. Yet, while quantity matters, it’s the overall quality of submissions that makes our task as judges so thrilling and yet so difficult. Our analysis of submissions and overall scores confirms the intuitive feeling that the quality of nomination this year is the highest it’s ever been. In the end, we are excited and confident about our selection of winners, yet inevitably disappointed that we could not award so many others that clearly also deserve recognition.
After long deliberations, the Banking judges decided to recognize 22 initiatives as winners of the following Model Bank 2019 awards:
- Best Digital Bank — for delivering an outstanding digital experience for consumers. The award is open to mobile-first challenger banks and digital-only propositions from established banks.
- Marketplace Banking — for making it easy for the bank’s customers to buy relevant financial products from third parties.
- Banking-as-a-Platform — for enabling third parties by providing them the bank’s technology platform.
- Business Model Innovation — for thinking creatively about banking and delivering a differentiated proposition to the customer.
- Beyond Banking— for expanding the range of services offered through the bank, including non-banking services.
- Customer Engagement — for deploying and blending digital and physical assets to engage with customers.
- Customer Insight — for data and analytics-driven efforts to understand customers and improve marketing and relationship management.
- Financial Inclusion — for efforts to bring financial services to unbanked and under-banker communities.
- Lending — for the most impressive consumer or business lending or collections initiative.
- Innovation Enablement — for implementing technology, organizational, and cultural changes that help foster innovation.
- Employee Enablement — for delivering tools empowering employees to be customer-centric or more effective.
- Process Automation — for the most effective deployment of technology to automate business processes or decision-making.
- Risk Management — for the most impressive initiative to improve risk management.
- Identity Management — for improving customer identity management and authentication.
- Commercial Customer Onboarding — for making it easy and effective for commercial customers to open and get the most value out of an account.
- Corporate Payments Transformation — for creating a rich set of payment capabilities to better service the customer.
- Payment Services Hub Implementation — for the most impressive payment services hub technology project.
- Digital Platform Transformation— for the most compelling initiative to transform a technology platform focusing on front-end solutions.
- Core Technology Replatforming — for the most compelling initiative to transform a core banking platform and adjacent systems.
- Cloud Adoption — for the most impressive efforts to adopt cloud computing in banking.
- API Strategy — for the most holistic and pervasive API strategy.
- Transforming Enterprise Integration — for the most innovative approach to enterprise integration.
Finally, of course, we also have Model Bank of the Year, our crown jewel award, first introduced in 2012, which recognizes one financial institution that in any given year simply stands out from the crowd and uniformly impresses Celent judges.
All Model Bank nominees should expect to hear from us over the next week, as we communicate the results. For the time being, only the nominees will know if they won any of these awards, as we begin working with them to distill their achievements into a series of case studies. We will be announcing all winners publicly on April 12th at our 2019 Innovation & Insight Day in New York. In addition to presenting the award trophies to the winners, Celent analysts will be discussing broader trends we’ve seen across all nominations and will share our perspectives why we chose those particular initiatives as winners. We will be inviting Celent clients over the new few weeks to sign up. Any remaining places will then be open to the public, so please mark your calendars and keep an eye on our website for further announcements.