Financial Planning Technology Vendor Landscape 2017
The financial planning business is responding quickly to the digital reshaping of the wealth management industry. In many ways, planning has become the front line.
Key research questions
- How has the focus of technology vendors evolved over the last two years?
- To what degree has financial planning adapted to wider market trends?
- How will the vendor market evolve from here?
This report provides a market overview of financial planning, including its evolution in the past 18–24 months, as well as trends and developments for both financial services firms and technology players. In addition, the study reviews the financial planning vendor landscape in the North American market. The report concludes with Celent’s considerations of where financial planning is headed.
This report is the product of a three-month survey-based study of the North American financial planning technology market. The solutions profiled may be linked to, or offered in conjunction with, other wealth management offerings, but all are able to serve as a stand-alone product.
The 60 question survey submitted to vendors addressed the following areas:
- Market demographics and target clientele, e.g. private bank, brokerage, etc.
- Firm strategy around financial planning, and fit into overall firm offering.
- Trends and developments over the last 18–24 months.
- Technology specifications and functionality.
- Future objectives and enhancements.
To support this primary research, Celent interviewed more than two dozen solution providers and technology users, including vendors, wealth management firms, and registered investment advisors (RIAs). These discussions, informed by Celent’s knowledge of key business drivers and the financial planning technology landscape, form the basis for conclusions on the future of the planning marketplace in general.