Empathia has been providing high quality, customer-focused behavioral health solutions to organizations for more than 35 years. We currently provide best-in-class employee assistance programs (EAP), student and family assistance programs (SFAP) and crisis management services to a broad segment of organizations in the public and private sectors. We practice a holistic approach to crisis management and therefore stand ready to respond to crises of any type and scale.
LifeMatters® is an industry leading Employee Assistance Program (EAP) and Student and Family Assistance Program (SFAP) provided by Empathia, Inc. Founded in 1982, we serve over 400 client organizations, ranging from 10 to 55,000 employees, representing 2.4 million covered lives. To help employees see beyond the stigma associated with seeking mental health assistance, our services are branded as LifeMatters®.
LifeMatters is a full-service, customer-centric EAP dedicated to providing impactful experiences and targeted resources that help people overcome challenges and lead better lives. Our overall mission is to enhance wellbeing in employees, students, their families and the organizations we serve.
Our crisis management service, branded Black Swan Solutions®, assists organizations in preparing for, responding to and recovering from the human impact of a large-scale crisis. In a crisis, one thing matters most – people. Our team supplements and enhances your internal resources by providing:
- Dedicated, scalable, 24/7 call center staffed by crisis counselors
- Global network of responders
- Critical incident response and management
- Accounting for employees and other stakeholders
- Information management tool
- Professional on-site support
- Organizational and management consultation
- Victim and family assistance
Business continuity planning
Should a crisis event immediately impact our call center, Empathia will provide ongoing services via the following mechanisms:
- Empathia maintains duplicate hardware for all critical telephonic and server hardware. System substitution can be made with minimal downtime. Our IT infrastructure, housed and maintained within the PHCI IT environment, is likewise supported by redundant off-site infrastructure.
- All server data, particularly that related to our clinical database, is backed up daily to a storage system utilizing a multi-copy incremental back-up protocol providing a minimum of two weeks historical data. At least one backup set is maintained off-site at all times.
- All server and telephonic switch hardware is supported by uninterruptible power supplies, backed up by redundant external generator systems, which can supply the needed energy on an indefinite basis.
- We have two Mitel 3000 Voice Gateways providing all call control located in our main office.
- Should a primary Gateway be down or unable to connect an IP phone across the WAN, the IP Phones are capable of seamlessly and automatically re-registering to the backup gateway.
- 100% of all IP phones have resiliency fail-over capabilities.
- We maintain redundant equipment for critical switch elements in order to minimize the impact of any equipment failure.
- All server and telephonic switch hardware is supported by un-interruptible power supplies and backed up by an external generator system, which can supply the needed power on an indefinite basis.
- Empathia maintains a contractual agreement with ProtoCall, based in Portland, Oregon, to provide emergency back-up call center functions in the event an immediate live-answer is not available by Empathia for whatever reason. The switchover to ProtoCall can occur immediately. The only exception to this is if the disaster destroys telephone service to our area, or some unforeseen event beyond Empathia's control. In the event that this happens, we will work with our phone provider to have them switch over our phone lines to ProtoCall as quickly as possible.
Empathia and its parent company have and test complementary Business Continuity and Crisis Response plans that include, but are not limited to, uninterruptible power supply with back-up power generators, off-campus back-up facility, data loss prevention processes, data back-up processes, security incident response plans, and 24/7 monitoring.
Empathia’s headquarters is located in the State of Wisconsin, where an emergency Safer at Home Order was in place from March 25-May 26 due to the COVID-19 pandemic. This resulted in the real-world testing of many aspects of our business continuity plan. In addition, Empathia has implemented temporary policies directing non-essential personnel to work remotely and essential personnel operating within our corporate office to adhere to strict social distancing protocols. All corporate travel has been paused, as have onsite visits from clients, prospects and brokers.
Following a return to normal business operations, internal teams will meet to identify areas of improvement and opportunities for plan refinement.