A Recap of #TFITS 2019, Part 3: Emerging Technology Panel
Looking Beyond the Fintech Boom
Tokyo Financial Information & Technology Summit (TFITS) is the only event in Japan dedicated to IT, data, and operations executives from financial institutions.
TFITS is a one-day conference hosted by WatersTechnology and sponsored by 6 solution providers across APAC. This year’s Summit was held on July 4.
I had the privilege of moderating a main stage strategic panel discussion titled “Emerging Technology Panel – Looking Beyond the Fintech Boom.”
My panelists were:
- Satoki Oi, Head of Digital Innovation Department, Mizuho Securities Co., Ltd.
- Michael Ross, Managing Director, Head of Sales, Broadridge Japan
- Suguru Yamasaki, Head of Open Innovation, Sumitomo Mitsui Financial Group
- Ryusuke Yokoyama, Senior Executive Officer & CIO, Japan Exchange Group, Inc.
This year’s conference concluded with a panel discussion on emerging technology featuring four fintech experts and thought leaders active in the Tokyo market. These experts spoke about next-generation technological trends in Japan’s financial industry as well as the relevant possibilities, initiatives, and challenges.
Panel topics and questions included the following.
- What is the state of fintech initiatives at Japanese financial institutions?
- What is the state of emerging technology initiatives such as those involving AI, machine learning, robotic process automation (RPA), DLT/blockchain and more?
- In what areas do you see these technologies helping enhance business and operations over the next three to five years?
- What are the challenges and what obstacles to be tackled in introducing new technology?
- Looking beyond the fintech boom, what innovation do you see driving technology and business innovation?