While all markets are local, many of the opportunities and challenges facing the retail banking industry are global. We provide clarity as we analyze technology-led innovations from across the world and assess their relevance to you. We also help you to make sense of the issues impacting you locally, distinguish between hype and reality, and guide you through your technology choices and investments.
Our research, the bedrock on which all of our services are built, is driven by intellectual curiosity and tempered by analytical discipline. We cover a range of topics and provide in-depth analysis on the technology-related themes of the day.
Our research focuses on the intersection of banking and technology. We perform deep dives on the strategies, technologies, trends and regulations impacting banking institutions. We provide insights on: technology-led innovation; the banking value chain; market structure; cloud; digital transformation; cards and payments; the impact of regulatory reform; analytics and emerging data; artificial intelligence, machine learning, and robotic process automation.
A subscription to our Retail Banking research service provides you with:
- Complete access to our research on retail banking and payments technology
- Entrée into our insights and perspectives on the latest business trends
- Direct contact with our team of expert analysts
- Opportunities for additional engagement, remotely and in-person, through our webinars, client events, and in-person roundtables
Our Research Themes
The Retail Banking research agenda can be broken down into three broad themes. These themes are the unifying threads across all our coverage. They represent a high-level map of the critical challenges faced every day, by those involved in the banking industry. The themes are:
DigitalNew patterns of distribution and delivery of an excellent digital experience.
Key Digital Research Topics
- Conversational commerce
- Customer/Omni-channel engagement platforms
- Customer relationship management
- Digital self-service
- Digital payments
- Social media
Typical Digital Consulting Engagements
- Discovery Dives on Digital Strategies and Roadmaps
- Portal and mobile capability benchmarking
- Vendor selection
Innovation and Emerging TechnologyThe why? and how? of innovation for technology providers and financial institutions. The application of emerging technologies across the entire retail banking value chain.
Key Innovation Research Topics
- Business model case studies
- Consumer and industry perceptions
- Emerging technologies and patterns (such as blockchain, microservices, and cloud)
- Innovation accelerators
- Innovation capabilities
- Innovation ecosystems
- Innovation partnerships
Typical Innovation Consulting Engagements
- Discovery Dives on the future of banking, innovation, and technology
- Innovation capability assessments
- Innovation portfolio assessments
Legacy and Ecosystem TransformationSimplifying the landscape, lowering costs, and increasing automation.
Key Transformation Research Topics
- Legacy modernization in global markets
- Transforming legacy architectures
Typical Transformation Consulting Engagements
- Discovery Dives for legacy modernization strategies and validation
- Guidance on vendor partnerships and vendor selection
Regional and Special TopicsRegulation, regional initiatives and phenomena.
Key Regional and Specialized Research Topics
- Regional regulation
Typical Regional and Specialized Consulting Engagements
- Discovery Dives on the technology implications of a piece of new regulation
Phone or e-mail a friend. One of the key benefits of a Research Subscription is virtually unlimited access to our analysts. Our Clients frequently take advantage of this on tap advice and support to gain a deeper understanding of the implications of technology for their specific situation. Typical engagements can range from topic dives to counseling sessions to document reviews to one-on-one strategy sessions and discussions tend to center around topics such as:
- Our quarterly research agenda - Feedback and collaboration around our upcoming research
- Recent updates to published research (how the market has changed since the original research was released, new data points, etc.)
- A deeper dive into a particular piece of research and the implications of that research for you
- Our perspective on current market developments
- Insights into specific topics
Specific examples of typical queries regarding the retail banking space include:
- The effective use of analytics
- Best practices implementing innovation
- The decision to build or buy
- System selection
- Building a digital roadmap
- Industry trends
This is by no means a definitive list. Analysts are willing to chat on any number of topics.
Our Model Bank Awards recognize best practices of technology usage in different areas critical to success in banking and are the highest honors a financial institution can receive from Celent.
Become a client
For information on becoming client, click here.