Model Insurer 2012: Case Studies of Effective Technology Use in Insurance
Twenty-three Model Insurer Components are described in this sixth annual edition, and Celent’s Model Insurer of the Year is named.
In a new report, Celent Model Insurer 2012: Case Studies of Effective Technology Use in Insurance, Celent recognizes 23 insurance technology initiatives as “Model Insurer Components.” The report also names Nationwide Insurance the Model Insurer of the Year. These best practices in the use of technology span key areas of the product and policyholder life cycle, including product definition, distribution, underwriting, policy administration, service, claims, and infrastructure. The report also reviews IT best practices and measurable business results used in evaluating the Model Insurer Components.
“Innovation is a common theme for many of the projects profiled in this year’s report. The Model Insurer Components highlight several innovative uses of technology in insurance,” says Karen Monks, analyst with Celent’s Insurance group and author of the report. “Insurers have stepped up their use of emerging technologies and have had successes in doing so.”
Model Insurer Components 2012
- AEGON Nederland N.V.: Preparing for Solvency II by automating input to internal model calculations.
- AIG - Chartis: Using business analytics software to automate strategic risk analysis.
- American Safety Insurance: Integrating all underwriting units under a common system.
- Canal Insurance Company: Leveraging Technology to open up new markets.
- CNA: Using a real time quoting portal that adapts to any agency's workflow.
- The Co-operative Insurance: Expanding into a strategically important distribution channel.
- Courtesy Insurance Company: Transforming claims through new systems and re engineered processes.
- DirectAsia.com: Changing the way automobile insurance is sold in Singapore.
- Erie Insurance: Streamlining the marketing, selling and processing of life insurance.
- Great American Insurance Company: Delivering mobile applications to a niche market.
- The Hartford: Changing the business model of how life insurance is sold and bought
- HDFC Standard Life Insurance: Offering enterprisewide learning via the Internet.
- L&T General Insurance Company Limited: Realizing organization wide results in short timeframe.
- Mitsui Sumitomo Insurance Co., Ltd.: Coping with a nationwide disaster in the cloud.
- Nationwide Insurance: Model Insurer of the Year.
- Nationwide Insurance: Proactively monitoring online applications.
- Philadelphia Insurance: Coordinating the replacement and integration of multiple vendors systems to achieve enterprise operational efficiencies.
- Prudential Insurance: Using BPM to create a single intuitive view of the customer.
- PURE (Privilege Underwriters Reciprocal Exchange): Using configured work flow processes to meet customers' unique needs.
- QBE: Leveraging a geographic risk assessment tool to manage portfolio exposures
- Tokio Marine & Nichido Fire Insurance Co., Ltd.: Offering “One-Time Insurance” products that can be bought any time and anywhere.
- Torus Insurance: Delivering a modern portal to brokers.
- Universal Insurance: The first digitalization of a claims process in the Caribbean.
- Zurich: Using telematics to improve fleet operations and risk.
Nominations were accepted throughout 2011, and the Celent insurance team selected the winning initiatives based on the business benefits provided. Each Model Insurer Component is described in a brief write-up within the report, including detailed descriptions of business drivers, technology environments, and quantitative success metrics.
Celent is a research and advisory firm dedicated to helping financial institutions formulate comprehensive business and technology strategies. Celent publishes reports identifying trends and best practices in financial services technology and conducts consulting engagements for financial institutions looking to use technology to enhance existing business processes or launch new business strategies. With a team of internationally based analysts, Celent is uniquely positioned to offer strategic advice and market insights on a global basis. Celent is a member of the Oliver Wyman Group, which is part of Marsh & McLennan Companies [NYSE: MMC].
North America (Boston)
Tel.: +1 617 424 3284
Tel: +44 (0)208 870 7875
Table of Contents
What Is a “Model Insurer?”
What Is a “Model Insurer Component?”
Nomination and Selection Process
About this Report
Common Best Practices and Results
IT Best Practices
Measurable Business Results
Model Insurer Components 2012
Infrastructure and Architecture
Other: Enterprise Systems
Other: Risk Management
Model Insurer of the Year 2012
Leveraging Celent’s Expertise
Support for Financial Institutions
Support for Vendors
Related Celent Research